North Canton Public Library Work Culture Statement
We are the North Canton Public Library.
We serve a supportive community, and we ourselves are a supportive community. As co-workers, we treat one another with kindness, compassion, and respect. We strive to find a balance of transparency, integrity, and professionalism in our communication, valuing co-operative relationships and consistent collaboration across all departments. We recognize that we are better together, as each of us brings individual experiences, unique perspectives, and a wealth of knowledge that we share with our co-workers and patrons on a daily basis. We leave room to experience joy in our work and with our co-workers, pausing to find the silver linings in challenging situations, the opportunities among obstacles, and the fun and humor in our daily interactions with one another.
Together, we form an organization that is welcoming, vibrant, flexible, and inclusive. We are honored to serve our community and proud to be an integral part of it.
The North Canton Public Library is always looking for kind, professional, and enthusiastic individuals to join our library team! We strive to provide a pleasant, positive working environment for our staff. Applications are available at our Patron Services Desk and may be picked up during regular library hours of operation or digitally using this link.
Open positions will be posted on this page as they come available.
North Canton Public Library Job Postings:
Library Associate – Children’s Department | 25 Hours/Week
The North Canton Public Library is looking for a friendly, engaging, and motivated professional with a deep commitment to customer service to assume the position of library associate in its Children’s Department. The successful applicant must be enthusiastic about the development of cutting-edge children’s programming, continually seek ways to improve upon the Library’s services to its community, and work as a team player to enhance the Library’s work culture of kindness, respect, and integrity among staff.
Job Title: Library Associate – Children’s Department
Education: Four Year College Degree from Accredited University
Hours: Part Time (25 hours per week), including evening and weekend hours
Salary: $14.75 per hour
Immediate Supervisor: Children’s Department Head
• Proactively provides outstanding customer service to library users of all ages and backgrounds
• Provides programs, presentations, and training to patrons and other organizations, in the Library, and in the community
• Interviews, researches, and answers questions from patrons in person, via phone, or through email correspondence
• Assists in developing and maintaining a high quality collection based on community needs, usage levels, and relevance of materials
• Evaluates materials, utilizes statistical data and reports for collection maintenance, and makes withdrawals according to library guidelines
• Initiates the development of children’s programs to increase awareness of library resources and encourage library use
• Recommends materials based on patrons’ interests
• Assists patrons with basic troubleshooting of common software products, operating systems, browsers, and other technologies associated with library services (including handheld devices, e-Readers, laptops, tablets, etc.)
Qualifications and Requirements:
Ability to work independently and multitask. Ability to helpfully communicate with the public to determine customer needs. Ability to use and understand technology. Ability to analyze needs and situations. Ability to make sound decisions. Ability to work well with others and to promote positive staff and community relations. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to follow and apply library procedures and policies. Must be able to lift, carry, push, and pull 40 pounds. Must be able to bend and reach. Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
The preceding statements provide an overview of the job responsibilities and shall not be construed as an all-inclusive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. It does not limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, or control the work of employees under his/her supervision. Additional related duties may be assigned.
Application: Email Andrea Legg [alegg [at] northcantonlibrary.org] your cover letter, resume, and completed job application.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.